Sunday 27 August 2017

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Rewatch & Review Part 4


02.07 Lie To Me

Rating: 3.5/5

Quote:

Buffy: “You’re going to die, and the only hope you have of surviving this is to get out of this pit fright now, and my god, could you have a dorkier outfit?!”

Review:
This one is a bit meh, but there’s some deeper motivations at the end that make the whole episode mean a whole lot more, so it gets a bit of a bonus for that. Also for Drusilla.


02.08 The Dark Age

Rating: 3.5/5

Quote:

Xander: “Ooh, gang, did you hear that? A bonus day of class, plus Cordelia! Mix in a little rectal surgery & it’s my best day ever!”

Review:
A great concept for a demon, a great look at some of Giles’ past. The Giles/Calendar thing is kind of sweet too. But on the whole not a perfect episode and perhaps could have explored this particular creature a little more before the happy ending.


02.09 What's My Line? (Part 1)

Rating: 3.5/5

Quote:

Principal Snyder: “Where is she?”
Willow: “Who?”
Snyder: “You know who.”
Willow: “You mean Buffy? I just saw her-”
Snyder: “And don’t give me that ‘I just saw her a minute ago, she’s around here somewhere’ story.”
Willow: “But… I did just see her a minute ago and… she is around here somewhere!”

Review:

I shall review this 2-parter as a whole, see next eps review!


02.10 What's My Line? (Part 2)

Rating: 4/5

Quote:

Kendra: “She died?”
Buffy: “Just a little!”

Cordelia: “You’ve probably been planning this for months!”
Xander: “Right, I hired a Latvian bug man to kill Buffy so that I could kiss you.”

Review:
The first half of this double episode has a few great moments but a much slower pace. Though a lovely Bangel scene and some cliffhangery moments.
Second episode is basically ahh the strangeness of Kendra! I never did like her much as a character, but I liked what it did for Buffy. Also, Oz! Oz-and-Willow! My gosh the ramping up thing is huge for them.
And then those ridiculously awkward Xander-Cordelia moments which I still don’t really understand.


02.11 Ted

Rating: 2.5/5

Quote:

Cordelia: “Feel like home… If it’s the fifties, and you’re a psycho.”

Review:
Such a very strange episode. An unfortunately high creep factor of the (mostly) regular kind as opposed to the usual supernatural kind that Buffy usually encounters. A bit uncomfortable and eugh.


02.12 Bad Eggs

Rating: 2/5

Quote:

Joyce: “Don’t you ever think about anything besides boys & clothes?”
Buffy: “Saving the world from vampires?”
Joyce: “I swear, sometimes I don’t know what goes on in your head.”

Review:
MORE EUGH, and this time it gets worse than eugh, or even gyeurgh. Okay I rate eps lower when I get grossed out, but also there wasn’t exactly much storyline except gyeurgh & then kill them all.


02.13 Surprise (Part 1)

Rating: 4/5

Quote:
Oz: “I’m gonna ask you to go out with me tomorrow night. And I’m kinda nervous about it, actually. It’s interesting.”
Willow: “Oh… well, if it helps at all, I’m gonna say yes.”
Oz: “Yeah, it helps. It creates a comfort zone. ...Do you wanna go out with me tomorrow night?”
Willow: “Oh! I can’t!”
Oz: “Well, see, I like that you’re unpredictable.”

Review:
It’s almost like either a lot of things happen in this episode or not very much does, but it’s all just the start leading up to the next few fantastic episodes to come. Oz & Willow! A bit of background behind Jenny Calendar. Some nice big bad lead up (on a few levels). And of course Bangel!



02.14 Innocence (Part 2)

Rating: 4.5/5

Quote:
Willow: “I knew it! I knew it! ...Well, not knew in the sense of having the slightest idea, but I knew there was something I didn’t know!”Review:
Part 2, even better than part 1. The reveal, the shock & horror, the endless epic bad guys, much creep factor, the freaking rocket launcher and just so much fun (dark, dramatic fun that is).




No comments:

Post a Comment