Tuesday 1 September 2015

A Couple of My Favourite Books

Unfortunately, I don't have a list of all the books I've read over time. That would be one mightily huge list. But instead I'll provide a list of some of my favourite series.
I was originally thinking of writing up a list of all the books I own, then realized I haven't even read all of them yet! Plus I have quite a few, so it's easier to just select a few of my favourite ones.
If you'd like to know more about any of these series/authors, feel free to ask!

In no particular order:


A Couple of My Favourite Books

  1. J. K. Rowling - Harry Potter, 7 books
    • Don't think this needs any explanation, really.
  2. George R. R. Martin - A Song of Ice and Fire, 5 books (so far)
    • For those unaware, A Song of Ice and Fire is the book series name for Game of Thrones, I started reading them just after I watched the first season of the show.
  3. Garth Nix - The Old Kingdom Trilogy, 3 books + 1 book of short stories
    • Australian author whose books I first read towards the end of primary school/start of high school but still love. A series about necromancers, magic, undead and a talking cat-thing.
  4. Brent Weeks - The Night Angel Trilogy, 3 books
    • Basically, about a boy who becomes an assassin. There are some great original magic concepts in this series all based in a dark, gritty world.
  5. Brent Weeks - Lightbringer, 3 books (so far)
    • Weeks' 2nd series is, in my opinion, even better than his first. In this, the magic system is based of colours of light and their properties. Some people are only able to manipulate one colour, the monochromes, others two or rarer still three. But per generation, only one person, the Prism, is able to manipulate all 7 colors: subred (infrared), red, orange, yellow, green, blue and superviolet. Each has different consistency and uses and it's all very cool I'll leave it at that.
  6. Matthew Reilly - I own all of his books... including 2 series: Scarecrow and Jack West
    • Reilly is the writer to go to for action books. If you liked Dan Brown, but want something with a bit more James Bond style action? This is it.
    • Scarecrow series, 4 books (so far) + 1 novella: My personal favourites, the main character is a marine name Shane Schofield, call sign Scarecrow, and the series is all about him and his team getting in the craziest situations and the (mostly) getting out of them again. This includes explosions everywhere, car chases, killer whales, the American President, you name it!
    • Jack West series, 3 books (so far): Think Indiana Jones in book form.
    • Standalone novels, 5 books: one is about an alternate universe where the world is obsessed with hover car racing (Hover Car Racer.. duh), and the most recent of his books is The Great Zoo of China: think Jurassic Park with dragons instead of dinosaurs.
  7. Christopher Paolini - The Inheritance Cycle, 4 books
    • I read Eragon and Eldest when I was a lot younger, soon after they came out and really enjoyed them, so of course I then had to read Brisingr and, eventually, Inheritance. To be honest, they were much more enjoyable when I was younger, and I didn't so much like how the series was ended, but for the sake of nostalgia, I feel they deserve a place on this list.
    • Please disregard that the movie Eragon ever existed, it's one of the worst things I've ever seen! It's on the level of Dragonball Evolution and Avatar the Last Airbender for live action movie failures.
  8. Phillip Pullman - His Dark Materials, 3 books
    • These ones are fairly classic reads, talking 'daemons' that accompany their humans everywhere, a magic compass, a lot of travel in between universes, and somewhat of a negative commentary on the role of churchs and religion in history (if you're into that sort of thing).
    • Of course, the first book in this series was also made into a movie, and while some of it does differ to the series it's still not such a bad adaptation from what I remember.
  9. C. S. Lewis - The Chronicles of Narnia, 7 books which I have in one large volume
    • More classics, I'm sure everyone at least knows about them from the movies, but this is another series I really enjoyed when I was younger, and haven't reread in a while.
  10. Steven Erikson & Ian C. Esslemont - Malazan Book of the Fallen
    • An epic fantasy series if there ever was one, I only started reading this series a few months ago (towards the end of June in fact) and am just past halfway of the series overall (as of the end of August), and I must say, though it does have a few ups and downs in terms of more interesting characters and continents and storylines, there are definitely more ups. Some people do find it difficult to first get into the series because not very much is explained of the world or magic system beforehand, they just send you right into the story, but I loved it!


I feel like I'm missing a lot of series that should probably be on this list, and may or may not add to it later, but as you can see, for the most part I really enjoy fantasy books and wouldn't have it any other way.

No comments:

Post a Comment